Saturday, August 24, 2013

August 24, 2013: 39th Birthday









 
 

 


 


I am still in shock that I turned 39 today.  Honestly, I don't feel like a day over 27.   It is probably because I am not married nor have children, so I don't have those responsibilities..  There are days I would like to be married, but the older I get, the less I feel that way.  I enjoy being single and doing whatever I please.  Turning 29 was a hard year for me, as I knew 30 was on the way and all of my relatives and friends were married and having children.     It's funny how your perspective changes over the years.

Anyway,  my Mom and I went for a nice breakfast at IHOP in Grandville.    I used my free breakfast coupon and we split the bill.  The bill was completely free.  When you are broke, you find ways to save money.

Then, we went to the mall so we could use our $10 off $10 or more at Younkers.  Do you think I could find anything?  Nope.   I couldn't use the coupon on Bonus Buys or Yellow Dots, which didn't leave much left in the store.    I spent close to an hour wandering around the store, but finally gave up.

We went to the Titanic exhibit at the Grand Rapids Public Museum in downtown Grand Rapids.  I had wanted to see it, but kept putting it off, due to other obligations.    I thought they did a nice job with the exhibit.  It was more organized than the one I saw in Chicago when I was living there.
There were only about 1/3 of the passengers who survived the Titanic disaster.    We were each given a passenger ticket and could look up our name on the list of survivors.    Our passenger names survived the disaster.

We went shopping at the Woodland Mall and then for dinner at the Melting Pot Restaurant.   My friend Becky Ruger met us at the restaurant.   She brought me a nice birthday gift.  I love hanging out with her.     We met through Molly (Piersema) King last summer and have been friends every since.

We all enjoyed the cheese and chocolate fondues.   The main course was not worth the money.   We each received a plate with raw meat and vegetables and had to cook it ourselves in the pot on our table.     I felt that was too much work when dining out.    Each meal was $32 which I thought was a bit pricey.  However, we all had a good time at the restaurant.

I am truly blessed to have wonderful friends and family.



No comments: