Friday, March 2, 2001

March 2, 2001: Resignation from IRI

It was an emotionally exhausting day for me. It all started when I went to ask my manager, Alison Basista, about why my accruals on my time card didn’t appear. I wanted to know how many sick days/vacation days I had accrued. She said if you were here 6 months, then you would have accrued half the time. She asked why I was worried or if I was leaving before the end of the year. Maybe I shouldn’t have said it, but I ended up telling her I was leaving. She asked if it was in 6 months. I said no. She asked if it was sooner and I said yes. I finally told her that I was leaving Chicago and IRI on April 27th. She asked if I had a job lined up. I said I didn’t have one yet. Then, she asked why I was leaving and I told her that it was for many reasons. First, the competency review in November didn’t go as I had hoped. Second, the new review system would screw me over in that I was so close to getting the 2nd one and now had no chance to even try with this new system. She asked if there was anything she could do to keep me here and I told her no. Then, I saw Liz and Joe coming back to their seats so I told Alison I would talk to her later about it as I didn’t want Joe, Liz or Bev knowing. She was surprised at me saying I was leaving IRI.


Later that morning, we sat in Mark’s old office with the lights off. It was strange sitting there looking outside at the same reddish brick building I saw the day I was interviewed by Mark and Yolanda just 4 years ago.

I didn’t think this transition in my life would get me so emotional and teary eyed, but it did.   Anyway, I further explained that this wasn’t a decision that was made lightly and that I had been thinking about it since last June, but in November, I decided that this was what I had to do.  I told her I liked how IRI gave its employees flex time, chance to have every Friday off, and being able to dress casually.  I told Alison that the competency review back in November really ticked me off especially when I was always asking for opportunities to do testing and such.  I was so close to passing the 2nd threshold, but then didn’t get it because Bev decided so.   I said I knew that you don’t get everything you want in life, but the new review system beginning in May 2002 screwed me out of even trying to get the raise this May.  Alison agreed that we should have had the opportunity to try 1 more time in May and that human resources had no clear answers on how much of a raise we would get with the new system.
I also explained to her that I wanted to save money for a condo and I couldn’t do that when I was spending $700 in rent. She wanted a home, but couldn't afford to buy one. She also said her family was always asking her why she didn't buy this and that and she said she didn't want all of her money going out for mortgage payments. She would like to be able to buy 20 pairs of shoes or whatever when she wanted to and not have to worry about money.


I also said that I wanted to move possibly to San Diego or somewhere warm in 2 years and buy my condo there.


She said she would hate to lose me as I am a real asset and I am the only one who knows the Safeway restatement process inside and out.


She said, though, she could tell I had a lot of future goals.

I told her I would most likely get a temp job when I moved home as I am going on a 2 week cruise in June, and that no company would hire me and then give me 2 weeks off for vacation, when I first started. She agreed. She said maybe I would find my niche through these temp jobs.

Her sister started out as an office manager and now is working in Human Resources. Alison’s dad is a VP so she asks both of them questions. She said she would be a reference for me. I also said that I wanted to talk to Bev about how things she says are told to Joe & Liz through Melisa. I told Alison that I think that is unprofessional especially for a director. I said I wasn’t sure if I should as I want to use IRI as a reference. She said don’t use Bev as a reference and that it shouldn’t reflect anything when a company calls to verify your employement. All companies are technically allowed to ask if you worked there and about your attendance record, so Alison said not to worry about that. She said that if I told Bev those things, then when I walked out of the office, I may feel better. She said maybe that Bev would be mad, but maybe after awhile what I said may impact her later on and make her think about what she tells people.



I found out that Bev was the one who interviewed Joe. Anyway, Alison wished me a lot of luck with my future.

Kelsey wrote me a real nice email asking when my eye surgery is and if I needed help with finding a job.  She also asked for prayers with regards to getting Devon in a charter school.  She said there are 76 spots and 105 applicants and the names are drawn from a hat.  After reading my email about Chicago, she said she is glad she doesn’t live here, as it isn’t a place to raise a child. It was really nice getting an email from Kelsey.

No comments: