Saturday, March 10, 2001

March 10, 2001: Chicago Museums with Joy





Joy and I left the house at 9 a.m. to take the 151 bus down Michigan Avenue over to the museums. It was a cool, but sunny day outside. We got some wonderful pictures of the city of Chicago from the Planetarium. We went into the Planetarium and got the $30 city pass. We didn’t realize how much it covered---Art Institute, Planetarium, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and the Sears Tower.

At the Planetarium, we saw a show in the theater. There was a screen all around the theater. The presentation was about the galaxy and stars and Native families and their stories. We wandered around there and then had lunch. The view from the dining room was wonderful. The Planetarium sets out quite far from the edge of Lake Michigan. I bought the Chicago Edition Monopoly game at the Planetarium.

We headed over to the Shedd Aquarium, but the line to get inside was so long, so we decided to go to the Field Museum and come to the aquarium later in the day. We got to see the dinosaur, Sue. We wandered around the museum. I was quite surprised by all of the animals, plants, etc, that they had on display. Then, we went to the Underground Adventure which was pretty neat.

We got hungry so we stopped at the McDonalds in the lower level of the field museum and had a hot fudge sundae. It was so hot in the museum, so we ate it outside on the picnic tables.

Then, we went to the top floor and looked at the gem display. There were some beautiful diamonds.

Joy said that Marianne and Wendy liked the Marquis cut stones.

Then, we walked over to the Shedd Aquarium. The line was shorter this time. We saw the dolphins. One of the workers was feeding the dolphins and diving which was funny to see. Then, we went to the dolphin show in the theater that overlooked Lake Michigan.

Joy and I took the bus over to Adams St/State St. and walked down Adams St. to the Sears Tower. Joy really wanted to see it. We watched a short film on Chicago before going up to the Observatory. I felt like a tourist today, but I realized how this day would close a chapter in my life as a Chicagoan. I recognized most of the buildings and landmarks around Chicago. I am so glad I got the opportunity to live in Chicago when I did. The Observatory was on the 103rd floor where you could see the entire city. They remodeled the Observatory and had added in some computers to show you key buildings. I showed Joy the train station, IRI, the train tracks, O’hare Airport, etc. She had never been up in a building this high before. There were 2200 steps to the top of the Sears Tower. I think Joy had a good time and I know I did, too. I don’t get to spend time just hanging out with good people. People in Lincoln Park are superficial and very hard to become friends with. People in the suburbs are much nicer.

Joy and I took the bus to Water Tower Place and had dinner at Food For Life. Then, we came home, as we were quite tired from a busy day.

Joy got on the scale and couldn’t believe the number and said she hadn’t weighed herself in 2 years. I really felt bad for her. She was so fun to hang out with. We played with my new Chicago edition Monopoly and had fun.

No comments: