Saturday, July 1, 2000

July 1, 2000: Stumps, Cards & Ticks



Kara, Leah, and I had a relaxing morning which was nice.   Kara made us pancakes on the griddle and I did the dishes.   It was hard to do the dishes as they had no sink.  I had to heat up the water on the stove for cleaning.

I ran to the outhouse to do my business, as I didn't want to get bit by ticks.     I don't think I enjoy roughing it in the wilderness.   

Kara, Leah, and I played a few games of "Hand and Foot".  Then, we got dressed to do some work outside.   We walked down the 2-track to saw a tree that had fallen across the road.  I used the saw to cut it in half.   Then, we moved the wood to the side of the road.  Kara and Leah fixed the mud in parts of the road so the water would filter out to the sides of the road.  

Then, we played more cards.   Later in the evening, we took a walk down the trail to see if we could spot some deer.   Kara said if we saw a bear that we should not say a word.   Somehow, I think that if I saw a bear that my natural reaction would be to scream.

We got back to the cabin and did our tick check.  We saw a few and brushed them off.   Then, we played some more cards.   
As we were sitting, Leah asked if my bra had a design on it and I said no.   It was a tick just inside my bra. I freaked out!   In a panic, I told Kara to get it out which she did.    Found some more ticks on my white shirt.    Kara found some ticks on her, too.   The ticks were all over the shoes that had been tied to the beams in the cabin.    We were all freaking out by now.   We checked each other for ticks from head-to-toe.  

We all had a hard time sleeping that night and were so paranoid of the bugs.   We all felt itches and thought they were ticks.  

No comments: