Thursday, June 24, 2004

June 24, 2004: Palma de Mallorca/Marseilles/Barcelona







Yesterday, my mom and I went on our own in Palma De Mallorca. We took a bus along with a bunch of other tourists and got off where everyone else did, which was the wrong Plaza. There are plazas all over in these cities. We walked around and found some gelato ice cream which is wonderful. I love Italian ice cream. Then, we asked an Italian man to show us how to get to this cathedral and he showed us the best he could, since he didn't speak English and we don't speak Italian.

Palma de Mallorca is a beautiful city. It is very upscale. We saw the store Escada which is an expensive brand of clothing. Plus, we saw more shops and cafes. We were there in the afternoon which is when their siesta time is.  They usually go home for a large lunch and rest for 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon and then their stores stay open until 7 or 8 in the evening.


We saw this gorgeous cathedral that overlooked these gardens. Then, we walked along the water where there were hundreds of boats and large yachts. This is surely a rich man's town. I guess Michael Douglas has a home here, so we can see why.


Then, yesterday evening, my Grandpa, his girlfriend, my mom and I took a tour which was a dinner and show. The food was delicious and the show was fantastic. It is called Son Mar. It was in an old Spanish home. The dancers were professionals and wonderful. They did Irish dancing, Spanish dancing, etc. I have never seen anything so professional like that in my life. The Drifters which are from the 60s or 70s sang for about 45 minutes. They were fantastic. I heard a bunch of good comments from everyone who went. Of course, my Grandpa complained and he did fall asleep during part of the show.
We had to nudge him as he was sitting in the front and that doesn't look too good.  He has trouble hearing so I think that is a big reason why he complains. But, the rest of us loved it.


Today, we were in Barcelona, Spain. There are about 4 million people who live in the city and about 4 million who live in the suburbs. They primarily speak Spanish here. We went up to Montserrat which is a monastery. About 80 monks live there and choose to live their entire lives in silence and prayer. I don't think I could live in silence.
We were hoping to see the boys choir there in the cathedral but they had just done their 4 years up at the monestary and were about to go home to their families.


Tomorrow, we are in Marseilles and will take a tour of the city as well as Avignon. Then, Sunday, we get off the ship and fly up to Paris to spend a couple of days. I am looking forward to that, as I want to do some shopping there and see some things that I didn't see last time.


We haven't been real thrilled with this cruise ship, as I have mentioned before. I wouldn't suggest going with Costa. Our steward didn't do a great job with cleaning our room. One day, she didn't do it until 4 p.m. We have been on 7 other cruises and had excellent service and food, but this one is mediocre, so I will be listing my comments on the comment card at the end of this cruise.
All of our other cruises have been excellent. I will say that our excursions have been quite good on this cruise. The only exception is the organization of the tour in Capri which was a mess.


I will be glad when I don't have to listen to another Italian. I swear they never shut up. On the bus today, there were two in the back who kept talking when the translator was telling the English people things. Plus, they are quite rude people and push their way into lines and cut in line. One Italian yelled at another for doing that yesterday. It was funny. Of course, I don't let them in front of me. I hope I didn't offend anyone who might be Italian, but that is just what my whole family sees about them. We love the sound of English now.

No comments: