Tuesday, June 22, 2004

June 22, 2004: Pallermo, Sicily



Today, I am in Pallermo, which is on the northern part of Sicily. It is around 4 p.m. right now (6 hours ahead of you). We took a tour today of the city and got to see the catacombs. It was an eerie place to go. Hundreds of years ago, the wealthy people in Europe used to have their bodies kept in crypts so that their families could come and visit. There are about 6,000 corpses in this place. Some still have the skin on them and there are clothes over them. They had the women in one room, the men in another, and the little ones in another. To me, it is pretty disgusting to preserve a body that long for people to come to see. But, they didn't have burials like we did back then, so this is how it was done. I wasn't supposed to take pictures, but I snuck and took some. Then, I noticed on my way out, that there was a security camera.


We also saw some beautiful churches. We stopped at the big Opera House which is beautiful. Then, we stopped at a local outdoor market and saw them slicing tuna. It kind of makes you not want to eat it.  I am not a seafood lover, anyway.


Their zuchinis are long and skinny and their raspberries are smaller than ours. I got a picture of a cotton tree with cotton on it which was interesting.


Last night for our entertainment, there was a man and a woman who did impressions of famous people using their hands in front of light. They did an excellent job. I don't know how the guy was able to do this, but it was pretty amazing. It might sound cheezy, but it is a talent, if I might say.


This afternoon, my mom and I went on the curly slide on the ship. My mom was scared to go, but she went and loved it. She went down twice and I went down 3 times, since I am a kid at heart.


Tonight is casual night and tomorrow night is our first formal. Tomorrow, we will be in Tunisia which is the northern part of Africa.

No comments: