Wednesday, June 23, 2004

June 23, 2004: Tunisia, South Africa






We took a tour of Tunisia which is the northern part of Africa. The buildings are all white with blue shutters. It is supposed to be 95 degrees today. That is why our tours were early in the morning. I didn't notice a lot of women dressed in Arab gear. This country is more liberal. 55% of the women go to college so that is pretty high for here. They used to have a law where women students could not wear their Arab gear to school, but that has since been changed in the past few years.


I don't think I would want to be stuck here, though. It is real humid and hot, and there isn't much air conditioning. People here are quite poor and constantly beg you to buy their goods. But, it wasn't as bad as it was in Mexico at the Pyramids, when my mom and I went several years ago.


My aunt and her friend did get their luggage Monday night.  So, they were happy about that. It was found in Nice.


Everytime I see a dog, I think of my Maggie. I sure do miss her. She always brightens my day.


Tonight is our formal night so we will all get dressed up.


Like I said before, we haven't been too pleased with this cruise line. They are so unorganized, not really service oriented like the other cruises we have been on, and they don't put chocolates on your pillow at night. This is a first since we have always got a piece of chocolate on our bed. That must not be a tradition for Europeans.
There are quite a few Italians on the ship. They are all thin and good looking people, but boy, they are chatter boxes. They never shut up. We were at this house in Capri and behind a bunch of Italians and they were so loud. I think that would drive me crazy.


My grandpa is happy that I am going to type up his diaries of when he was in World War II. We were talking about it since he was in Italy, Sicily and northern Africa when he taught. It will be a big project, but I think it will be worth it in the end.


I am going to take a snooze before dinner. Tonight was our formal night. Tomorrow, we will be in Pallma de Mallorca. I heard that Michael Douglas has a big fancy home there.

No comments: