Saturday, May 31, 2014

May 31, 2014-Grand Haven, Coast Guard, and Josh's Art Show







Summers are a busy time in my life which is just the way I like it.  I hate everyday life.   I love to explore the world and see new things. 

Today,  we met my mom's friend, Judi Zubrickas, in Grand Have at our favorite breakfast spot, Morning Star Cafe.   We also stopped at our favorite bakery,  Great Harvest Bread Company.   

Then,  Judi came to our house and we took Maggie on a walk on our trail around the property.  I wore my flip flops which was a big mistake as my feet here hurting by the end of the trail.   

Mom and I drove down to Pere Marquettte park to go to the open house of the Coast Guard.   We got to walk in the south pier lighthouse to the top.  It was not very easy to walk up the steps and ladder to the top.  There was only enough room for 4 adults at the top.  The Coast Guard only has to maintain the light but they don't own the rest of the lighthouse.  There is an organization started that wants to preserve lighthouses.   

There are about 40 people that work at the Muskegon Coast Guard station.

We toured two of their rescue boats.  One was made in the 70's and one was made just recently.  They are going to replace the older one with a new one.
The new vessels cost about $650,000.   

In the evening,  we drove to Grand Rapids to see my coworker, Josh Maitner's art show at the Splurge Salon at 1168 Ionia.   He did a terrific job on his art.  They were selling for about $300 a piece.  He did one for me a few years ago which is on the wall as you go down the steps downstairs.  

It was nice to see other coworkers come to his art show.  Ann Schrader was in charge of the drinks.   Kathy Gardner and Doug from Environmental Health came too.  Kathy is now working for the State in Lansing.   She likes her new job but says it's complicated work.

We stopped at the Woodland Mall before coming home.

No comments: