Wednesday, May 28, 2014

May 28, 2014: My Little Sister's Graduation from Muskegon High School



Words cannot express how proud I am of my little sister, Brittanie Kammers.  After struggling my first time with depression in 2003, I started to involve myself in some positive things to help me take my focus off myself and onto other things.   One of the things I got was a dog named Maggie.   The second thing I did was become a Big Sister in the Big Brother, Big Sister Program.  I wanted to be a positive influence in another person's life.   I was interviewed and then matched with Brittanie Kammers when she was 8 years old.

I remember the first day I met Brittanie, which was in October 2004   She was the cutest little kid.    I met her mother and then asked if Brittanie could come to my house on Lawnel Avenue.   Brittanie and Maggie were sitting in the back yard playing in the leaves.    I took a picture of the two of them together.  Then, Brittanie and I made chocolate chip cookies.   That was our first day together.  


Over the years, we did alot of fun things together.  I took her to Chicago with my friend Beth Alkema Short and her 2 daughters, which was a blast.  Brittanie and I went to Mackinac City with my Mom and Maggie.   We went to a nice luncheon at the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island. We went to Michigan's Adventure,  had Glamour Shot photos taken,  manicures and pedicures, went to a Tigers game, etc.    I truly had alot of fun with Brittanie.  As she became a teenager, she became more interested in her friends, which is typical at that age, so we did fewer activities.   I have remained a part of her life, even if it has been more in the background in the past couple of years.


I was so excited to get the opportunity to see her graduate from high school.  Tonight, she graduated from my dad's alma mater, Muskegon High School, exactly 50 years later.     


It brought tears to my eyes to see her get her diploma.  Her mom, dad, 2 brothers, grandparents, and her first teacher from Head Start came for the occasion.


Brittanie had tears in her eyes when she saw all of us there to greet her after the ceremony. I pray that she has a successful college career and life and that we stay in touch forever.    


Brittanie's grandmother, Rosemary George, put our picture on facebook and wrote these beautiful words about me which meant the world to me.  She said "This is my granddaughter BRITTANIE and AMY GONYO.  Amy has been Brittanie's Big Sister for the past 10 years! She is a wonderful person and has always been there for her.  She is so compassionate and dedicated to her!  We/Brittanie have been truly blessed to have her in Brit's life!  Thanks Amy! 


No comments: