Friday, September 25, 2009

September 25, 2009-Charleston-Middleton Place

Enjoyed our day at the Middleton Plantation, as well as Drayton Hall.      I didn't take well at all to the hot, humid weather today.   It didn't used to bother me, but with the combination of 40 extra pounds on me and wearing jeans,  I was dying.     That is another wake up call to get this weight off.   


We learned quite a bit from our trip to Middleton today.    I never knew that the blue bottles the slaves put in the trees was to scare off the evil spirits.   They did that in the movie about Ray Charle's life.    Slaves that were considered 'free' were given special privileges if they finished their 8 hr day.   For example, they would be given time with their children, fishing time, etc.     At Middleton, they used to plant rice fields.   


The property is gorgeous, with meticulously manicured lawns and gardens.     I will send some pictures in tomorrow's email, as I am sure I will have some more from Charleston tomorrow.   We are going to Fort Sumter, Aiken-Rhett house, and to Boone Hall Plantation.    Then, we will head to Savannah, GA for a few days.  

No comments: