Monday, September 21, 2009

September 21, 2009-Asheville, North Carolina

We left Pigeon Forge this morning and headed to Asheville, NC.   We went through Dolly Parton's town in Sieverville, Tennessee.  There isn't much to it.  I am sure she has a place up in the mountains. I found a picture on the internet as well as the street name, but her mail goes to Los Angeles, so I couldn't get the house number.   


We had a beautiful drive through the mountains to Asheville.    I am impressed with Asheville.  It is a nice size city.   I am not sure my mom likes it as much as I do.    Their top industry is tourism which isn't high paying.  I have talked to several store clerks who say finding a job isn't easy here either. They say that Charlotte and Raleigh are better places for jobs.    I know I am going to go back to school once my credit cards are paid off and get a degree in something that will actually get me somewhere.


We took a 2 hr trolley tour around town and learned a few things.   We saw the Victorian home that was used in the Sandra Bulluck movie "28 Days".    It is the scene in which Sandra falls out of the window.     Also, learned that after the Great Depression, the downtown and many of the historical homes were boarded up and remained that way for close to 50 yrs.  Asheville had an enormous debt after the Great Depression, which also took them about 50 years to repay.


We are staying at the "Inn at Biltmore" on the premises.  It is up in the hills and our room overlooks the mountains and valley.    We are feeling like queens staying here.


We did some shopping at Biltmore Village and then had dinner at the Biltmore McDonalds, which was featured on the food and travel channels, as it is a fancier McDonalds.   They have chandeliers, fireplace, and grand piano inside.    The floors are marble and the ceiling is copper.     The prices of the food are the same as any other McDonalds, so we got off cheap tonight.


Then, we drove downtown to the Chocolate Fetish and got some chocolate and then went to the Frenchbread chocolate lounge and had a truffle hot cocoa.  It was delicious.    They have big couches and tables there which were comfortable.  


Hoping someday I meet a nice fella that enjoys traveling like I do and that I am treated better than the guys I have been meeting.    Playing games with me is a waste of time.   Guys who do that are not worth my time, as I know I deserve to be treated better than that.   I am educated, have a kind heart,  most of the time, enjoying doing fun things, etc.   Please keep me in your prayers!  


Tomorrow, we will spend most of the day at the Biltmore Estate.  We drove by it tonight on our way back to the hotel. The road leading up to it is about 3 miles long through the lush woods.    It truly is a beautiful place.

No comments: