Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday, Sept. 18, 2009 - Georgetown, KY

We drove around 400+ miles today so decided to stop around 5 p.m. and ended up in Georgetown, Kentucky, which is around 200 miles away from Pigeon Forge. I am not big on nighttime driving, so like to be at a hotel well before that. What really got me is that I saw a city called Paris nearby. You know how I am a sucker for Paris. I love that city and can’t wait to go back, hopefully in a couple of years.

Anyway, Georgetown is named after George Washington. Toyota has a large manufacturing plant here. I talked to a sales clerk in a store today who said it is really hard to get a full-time job at the Toyota company here. You have to go through a temp agency and do that for 2 years before they will even hire you. It sounds like there aren’t a lot of full time jobs here, but many part-time positions.

As you know, one of the primary reasons of this trip is to scope out some of the states I am interested in moving to in a couple of years.

We had a nice dinner at Ruby Tuesdays which is right next to our hotel. We are staying at a Fairfield and the whole building is non-smoking which is great.

I have to tell you, though, that it seems to take forever to get down here via 31 South. Dang, both the GPS and the AAA route both had us go down 31 South until you get to Indianapolis. It seemed like it took forever. It was nicer when we got onto I-275 and then onto I-75. I think it has us routed a different way on the way home as we will be coming home from Atlanta.

The Kentucky Derby isn’t far from here. I would like to go to that sometime. It looks quite interesting.

Well, I will keep you guys updated on a daily basis as to where I am. Maybe I should make my first book about traveling. I think I could think of some humorous stories.

No comments: