Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 8, 2011: Raleigh and Cary







Mom and I set out to check out Cary. We drove around the west side of the city and went by some homes. We noticed that most of them were built right next to each other and hardly had a front or backyard. The homes were about $350,000. I have always liked the homes in Norton Shores in the Evergreen subdivision off of Pontaluna Rd. Those homes are big, with large front and back yards and trees all around. I have always said those are my dream homes. That was the first difference I saw in the homes in Cary vs Norton Shores.



We drove to the outlet stores in Smithfield which is about 30 minutes south of Raleigh to meet up with one of my high school friends, Lynn Goerl, whom I haven't seen since high school. It was so good to see her again. She is a sweetheart. She is married with 4 beautiful children. She has lived in St. Louis, Iowa, and Nebraska. Her mother still lives in Nebraska. We had lunch at Cracker Barrel and she showed us her family photos. I wish she lived closer to me, so I could hang out with her more often.


We went shopping at Chicos and both got something there. I love the fact I can wear a size 2 or 3 there.


Mom and I then drove to downtown Raleigh and found the Cupcake Shoppe. We split a velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting and then a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting. They were each $3 and so delicious. Then, we drove around downtown Raleigh and saw the Capital building.


Our next stop was at the Crabtree Mall which is one of the main malls in the Raleigh area. I would compare it to Twelve Oaks mall in Novi. I have done most of the city driving on this trip. I really don't get too nervous driving around it, as long as I have my GPS. Without the GPS, there is no way I could do a trip like this. That is like the navigational bible to me. I don't care for the traffic around the triangle and wouldn't want to deal with that for the next 30 years of my life working, but once in a while I could handle it.


We are staying at the Hamptons Inn in Cary which is quite nice. I would recommend staying at this chain, as they include a nice breakfast, nice rooms, and a snack in the evening. The rooms are not too expensive, either.


After our snack, I drove us to the Cary Senior Center and we took a tour of the facility. It was quite large with many activities for seniors.


It is quite a challenge trying to find a place that both my mom and I like. We are both in different stages of our lives. I know that as a single lady without children and only 1 living parent, it is important to have her nearby. We are a support system for each other. Yes, everyone says to just move without my mother, but when you are a single lady close to your parent, you may understand why it is important to have her nearby while I have her.


Again, I don't like Muskegon at all, but not sure yet where I will go. Perhaps, Grand Haven or Grand Rapids might be an alternative to moving out of state, but not sure. All I know is that I won't move without a job, as it is so important to have health insurance and a steady job. I just got out of credit card debt a few months ago and working on savings. I don't want to struggle like I have been for the past 6 years.


Please continue to pray for us that we figure out what is best for us.

No comments: