Friday, June 3, 2011

June 3, 2011: Lexington to Asheville










Mom and I got up around 7 a.m. today, as we knew we had quite a bit of driving to do. After breakfast, we packed up and drove through the rolling hills in Lexington, KY to a small town called Paris. We were't too impressed with this city. I did think they had a beautiful courthouse. I wish the court house in Muskegon was not so ugly.


Then, we drove to the city of Georgetown, which we had driven around 2 years go. The traffic was worse this time around. It was very charming 2 years ago, but then again, that was in the fall and not during the summer vacation season. We drove through downtown Lexington, then headed toward London, KY.


Colonel Sanders had his first kitchen in London where he came up with the spices for his fried chicken. Then, we went to the Original Kentucky Fried Chicken, located in Corbin, KY. We had a nice chicken dinner there. They have a museum there, with a replica of his first kitchen. He started the business as a place for travelers to dine, get gas, and spend the night. There was a courtyard motel hooked onto the restaurant back in the day. Actually, he was known for his country ham. People would stop here to gas up, spend the night, and then get a nice dinner.


I had mom do some of the highway driving, as I had done alot of driving already. The mountains through Tennessee and North Carolina are gorgeous. I made my mom stop on the side of the road by the North Carolina sign, as I wanted her to take a picture of me next to it. I don't think she was happy about it, as she is a nervous driver, but glad she did.


Thank goodness we have our GPS as that has helped us out on all of these driving trips. I did have a few problems around Asheville. The exits seemed to come too fast so I kept missing them. The GPS just re-calculated and got us to our hotel off of Tunnel Road.


We had a delicious pizza at the chain restaurant, Mellow Mushroom on Broadway St in downtown Asheville.
I was glad to get back to the hotel before it got too dark. I hate to drive in unfamiliar areas when it is dark.

No comments: