Friday, June 10, 2011

June 10, 2011: Murfreesboro and Franklin, TN






This morning, Mom and I drove around downtown Murfreesboro to check it out. We walked around the town square. The courthouse is the oldest courthouse in the state of Tennessee.  Then, we went to the mall near our hotel and wandered around the stores there.   That particular mall reminded me of Muskegon's mall.

My aunt Charlene's friend moved to Murfreesboro from Grand Rapids about 20 years ago.    Her name is Sharon Stevens.     We met Sharon at her work inside the courthouse.  She works as a GIS technician for Rutherford County.     Sharon introduced us to one of her coworkers who had a brace on her leg.  We asked what happened and she said it was an injury that occurred a year ago when she was chasing a chicken. I died laughing.     Sharon said the lady lives in a subdivision and has about 20 chickens as she likes fresh eggs.   That lady's neighbor has a mule. I am just picturing chickens in the backyard in a subdivision.   It makes me laugh.     I love the southern accent. I wish I had that accent.

Sharon took us to this delicious restaurant in Christiana, TN called Millers Restaurant.  It used to be a grocery store.     The food was good ole southern cooking.   Sharon and I both got meatloaf and mom got the Millers Delight whicch was potato pancakes, chicken salad, frozen fruit, and these fried corn puff things.  The food was delicious.   Sharon said that their county also has the 80/20 percentage for how much the county and employee are responsible for with regards to health insurance.     We had a nice time with Sharon. Wish we could have spent more time with her, as she seems like alot of fun.  She thought I was only 28 yrs old.  That made my day!

After lunch with Sharon, Sharon drove us back to the courthouse and then my mom and I left for Franklin.      Franklin is a ritzy city abourt 20 miles outside of Nashville. It is where many of the country music stars have their homes.     

Our first stop in Franklin was at Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University which is on Mallory Rd.      It is a large brick building with alot of beautiful flowers outside.   We went inside just thinking it was just a corporate office.  We had no idea that was where Dave Ramsey did his live radio show.  There were about 8 places to sit outside of the studio where you could sit and watch/listen to his show live.    The bookstore behind us had his books and other things to buy. The lady who worked there gave us complimentary lemonade and delicious desserts.   On Dave's break we were able to meet him in person and have our picture taken with him.    I told him about me paying off my $28,000 debt and he gave me a high five.    That was fantastic.    He does his show from 1-4 p.m.     He left about 10 minutes after 4 for the day. My mom told me to run by the door and see what kind of car he had. He had a grey little Lexus sportscar.   After leaving Financial Peace University, we used our GPS to find where Dave lives.    It is only about 2 miles from the studio.  You have to take Cool Springs Rd to get to the Avalon subdivision.  We drove down the tree lined road to the end, but there were big gates so we turned around.       There is also another entrance about a mile behind the subdivision where the other gate is.   His house is way up on a hill. I found the picture on the internet.     It was about 10 million and he just moved into it last fall.

Then, we drove around downtown Franklin which has a bunch of quaint shops.   The traffic was bad.    There were several 2 lane roads around there.  It was bumper to bumper traffic for several miles.      Then, we went shopping at the mall called, Cool Springs Galleria.    

No comments: