Saturday, June 16, 2001

July 16, 2001: Dietician Assistant Job

I took a part-time Dietician Assistant position through Manpower.   I figured I would work there part-time during the day and then at Sears in the evenings.  I couldn't believe how much nutrition knowledge you needed for this job.   There was a strict schedule to follow.  Hours were 5:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.   You had to print out a diet list of all patients, color code their diets, using different colored cards.   They were coded as renal, diabetic, low calorie, low sugar, soft foods, etc.   There were about 9 diets.  Plus, you had to write down any allergies to food.  Then, you go on your breakfast and lunch runs.   I had to ask the patient what they would like to eat, based on the choices for the day.     My first patient wasn't on his bed. I went to check and he had fallen on the floor.  Of course, I panicked.   We called the nurse on staff.  That was not the best way to start my new job.   I knew I wasn't going to like this job, so quit the job.  Needless to say, I only lasted 1 day on that job.  

No comments: