Saturday, June 14, 2014

June 14, 2014: Devon VanZanten's High School Open House / 2013 Honda Civic














Back in February and March, I started to get my anxiety back due to the polar vortex, the lack of sunlight, my financial stress, etc.   I got on a new medication, we sold both our cars for a 2013 Honda Civic to share, and cut back on other expenses.   It was hard to give up my Honda CRV, but I knew I couldn't afford the payments at that time.   A few weeks ago, I saw this 2 door black 2013 Honda Civic on the lot and we asked for a quote.   The quote we got was $16,500.   I really wanted my own car again and even tried to work out a deal with my mom, but she said no.

Well, last night, Mom was thinking again about the car situation, as she was the one who didn't have a car during the day, as I was driving our 1 car to work.    She said we should go back to the dealership and see if that car was still there, so we went last night.   Sure enough, the car was still in the lot.    I secretly was hoping I could get the car, but new that financially, I wouldn't be able to do it again.

Mom decided that she would co-sign for the car for me, as long as I made the payments. She also gave me part of my early inheritance to pay off the credit card bills from our move into the condo.  This was the only way I could afford a car payment again.   I was thrilled to get a car again.    I haven't had a 2 door car since high school, but this car was a great deal ($3000 off blue book).   I always wanted a black car, so I was getting that too.     

So, we spent the morning at the dealership getting the car, and then hurried home to get ready for my cousin, Kelsey's son, Devon's, open house.   I still can't believe he is 18 years old and graduated high school.   He will be attending Central Michigan University in the fall.  College now costs about $20,000 a year, so Devon is responsible for half.  I can't believe college is so expensive these days. How are kids supposed to pay for that, a car, housing, food, etc?

We drove my new car to Kelsey's house.   It was nice to chat with our relatives, Christi, Larry, Pam, Charlene, Steve,  Kelsey, Matt, Emma, and Devon.
They did a great job with the party. They had the food in their garage and the tables and chairs in the driveway.   They served chili dogs, pasta salad, chips, etc.  They had a snow cone machine, cotton candy, and a candy table with all of Devon's favorite candies.      

Christi said she and Ken were moving to a home on Bear Lake Rd, so she was excited about that. She is also working on her master's degree from Cornerstone University.

Overall, this was a fantastic day.




No comments: