Friday, June 27, 2014

June 27, 2014: Rockford, The Deck, and Movies at the Beach











 


I took the day off so we could go meet up with Betty and John Westra at the Arnie's Restaurant in downtown Rockford, which is northeast of Grand Rapids.    We had a nice lunch at Arnie's and then Betty, Mom, and I went shopping in the downtown area.  We stopped in this glass shop and went upstairs to where the glass making classes take place.  That was quite interesting.  I didn't realize they first make a pattern, then melt the glass into that pattern.   It sounds like it takes several months to finish a project.    We got some nice jewelry at the Women at Risk store.    We also took a nice walk on the waterfront which was nice.

We wanted to go to the Hush Puppy Store, so headed over there.  I parked the car and tried to get the key out of the ignition, but it wouldn't come out.  I kept trying everything, but nothing worked, so we skipped the store and headed to Betty's house.  Her husband tried to get my key out, too, but he couldn't get it out either.   So, my Mom and I went to the Honda dealership and would you know it, the service person got the key out right away.   What happened is that the cord from my GPS was hanging down right where you put the car in park, which prevented the stick to fully go into park, which in turn locked the key in the ignition.  Can you believe how easy that was to fix?  We thought that was so funny.    We hurried back to Muskegon as we had a dinner date with Shari Resnick and Sue Arnouts.

I had been waiting for about a year for the new restaurant to open at Pere Marquette State Park.   Since April, I have tried to drive down by the lake to see the construction progress of the new restaurant.  The old Captain Jack restaurant on the beach was bought by Harris Hospitality.    The new restaurant, called 'The Deck' opened a couple of days ago.    

Sue Arnouts and Shari Resnick met us at "The Deck" for dinner.  It was a nice sunny day. Mom and I split a chicken salad which was very good.   

Shari didn't want to see the movie on the beach, so she went home.  Kay, Karen, Drew, Sue, my Mom, and I sat down on the beach and watched the movie 'Ghostbusters'.     Each year, they make improvements on the movie screen which makes it nice.    

No comments: