Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Memories of my neighbor & friend, Anne Kulikowski




Anne Kulikowski, who lived in our old neighborhood on Lawnel Avenue, passed away on Sunday, June 21st.

I remember watching for her to come outside to sit in her lawn chair in the garage and would go across the street to sit with her and chat about the neighborhood. You knew summer had come when you saw her out on her chair.

She still had her accent from back home in Ireland, which I loved to hear.

She used to have a huge garden in her back yard and bring us raspberries which were so delicious.

But, the one thing I really remember about her, is the time she taught me how to make cabbage rolls. They were so delicious!

When I was a kid, I used to play with her granddaughters, Alexia, Alissa, and Aleah. We would play in the basement and dance to polka music. The one song we liked was 'Hey Baba Reba...Amy Chewin' bubble gum.'

In the summer, she would make us kool aid popsicles on a stick. Those were so tasty, too.

She also took us on the bus around town. It would pick you up on the corner of Lawnel and Leon Street. We would go to the old downtown mall, but would have to switch buses on Peck Street.

Anne used to enjoy watching Maggie sit on the chair looking outside the living room window.

When we attended St. Francis, we would look for her in the pew. She would always be holding her rosary beads and reciting the rosary.

A few years ago, Anne and I went down to St. Mary's cemetery where she showed me where her husband, Tony, was buried, as well as the baby section where her infant daughter, Christine was buried.

I am going to miss Mrs. Kulikowski. She was a wonderful neighbor and friend to us for many years.

No comments: