Friday, May 29, 1998

May 29-31, 1998: Retreat






Today I had a half day of work.    I took my overnight bag, sleeping bag, and pillow on the 'El' to the Chicago Ave stop.     It was such a pain carrying all of that on the subway and up and down the steps.    Went to Ashley Hall's condo at 77 W. Huron.      I rode with Ashley and Palma to the Napier exit near St. Joseph, Michigan.    We were going for a bible study retreat at the cabin that Tammy rented every summer.  

On Saturday, we woke up at 9 a.m. and went down to Lake Michigan. We sat on the dock and had a bible study.  Ashley announced that she was resigning as the leader of our group, as she had some personal issues to deal with in her life.    I got to sit in the hammock which was so nice.   Talked with Sonja, who reminded me of me.   She didn't date much and didn't drink until she was 30.  Well, I did go out drinking with my friends and co-workers.    I taught Ashley how to play 'Kings in the Corner'.   We ate very well this weekend. We had shrimp kabobs, spaghetti, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, fruit pie, etc.    Tammy told us some stories about growing up in West Virginia.   She said cousins would marry cousins and produce triangle shaped people. We all died laughing.   

We also took a pontoon boat on Magician lake.  Theresa gave us each necklaces that said 'Faith'.  

My hardest part about living in Chicago was being around people who acted so fake and didn't talk much. You would take the bus or the El and no one would talk.    I was not used to the fact that everyone seemed to keep to themselves.    I suppose they did that in the big city, as you never knew who was going to rob you.    I was always comparing myself to the people there who had good jobs and dressed very well.    I had a decent job, but didn't make the big incomes like so many of the people in the city.

No comments: