Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 15, 2013: Michigan Irish Festival










Every September,  my Mom and I like to go to the Michigan Irish Festival, which is at Heritage Landing in Muskegon. My friend Milly Dreleozis, whom I met while working at the Health Department, came with us last year and again this year.      Our neighbors, Kay, Connie Martin, and Diane also came with us.   They had dinner with us.    I think they were overwhelmed at the size of the festival.   I think it is the best festival around here.

On Friday nights between 5 and 6 p.m., there is no charge to get into the festival.   After 6 p.m., the cost to get in is $15.     Of course,  I try to get in when it is free.    

As I was driving around on Friday night to get a parking spot,, which can be hard to come by, I saw Eric Justian and his two boys crossing the street in front of me.   He said hello and that he was going to meet up with a fellow Mona Shores classmate of ours, Samantha Packingham.

Seamus Kennedy is one of the entertainers.   He performs a great show.    The Irish music is fun to listen to.    

Mom and I both got a genuine Irish sweater for $150.  My sweater is going to be my Christmas gift from my mom, so I cannot wear it until Christmas.   The sweaters are gorgeous and so classy looking.

On Sundays, they have a Catholic Mass, followed by an Irish breakfast.     The breakfast is $7.  
We got our seats for the mass.    In front of me, I saw a fellow co-worker of mine, Vince Port, talking with some people.   He ended up sitting next to us for mass.

Vince saw his daughter and her deadbeat boyfriend (as he refers to him by), so he went to give her a hug. He got the surprise of his life.  She showed him her engagement ring.   Oh boy,  he was not happy about it at all.

After mass, we had our Irish breakfast and lost track of Vince.   Later on, we saw him again and chatted with him. He told us the story about his daughter and her, now fiancé.     He was not happy about this engagement.    He called his wife to tell her the news.     

Vince used to come down to the cafeteria for lunch at work.   I will chat with him and Linda Neal, which was always a lot of fun.   He used to work in the Community Corrections department, which was eliminated, so he lost his job after 9 years of service.  That was 1 year shy of being vested.   His wife is a guard at the Sheriff's department.

Mom and I were waiting for the tea tasting to open, so we wandered around the area.    There was a tent set up with information regarding an Irish wake, so we learned a little about that.  Back in the day, the deceased body was dressed in their fine clothing, and placed on a door in the parlor at home.  Two coins were placed on the eyelids to keep them shut.   There would be a deck of cards, a jar of snuff, and a bible set on their chest.      Friends and family would come over to see the deceased, take a snuff of tobacco, and then have a party in memory of them.

They had tea tasting at the festival, so we all went to that. Vince told us his life story.    He asked my mom what she would do if her daughter was going to marry a guy she didn't like.   She didn't know what to say.    I can see how frustrated it would be to see your step-daughter marry someone you don't like.   I'm sure God shakes his head when he sees us doing dumb things in life.  

I will never forget what Vince said to me.  He said that I am a millionaire, as I have a wonderful mother who I can confide in and know it will be kept secret.    Also, I have a mom who cares about me, when so many other people in the world don't have this.



No comments: