Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 22, 2012: Naples/Ave Maria

I woke up in the morning with my back still in pain.    I was able have breakfast but then had to go lay down again.     After I got dressed, I went out to their deck and saw Jim, Marty, and my mom taking turns jump roping. It was so cute. 

Then, we drove to Naples to go to Ave Marie, which is a development started by Tom Monaghan. Tom started Dominoes Pizza.   He was a good friend of my Aunt Marianne's brother, Mike, who lives in California.    Tom wanted to build this university and community around a catholic church in Ann Arbor, however, there were some issues in the community with the project.   Collier County, which is where Naples is located, offered 4000 acres of land in their county for him to build the university, church, and community. We went to it around 4 years ago and were quite amazed.       We were wondering what changes had occurred in the past few years.  They wanted to have around 30,000 residents in the community, but only have around 1500.    Tom has stepped down as CEO and is just the Chancellor.    

We had a nice lunch at this pub on the grounds and then went through the visitor's center.     I am glad we got to go back to see this area.

We had pizza at Heavenly Pizza in Ft. Myers which was delicious.    I highly recommend it.

No comments: