Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 25, 2011: South Beach






We had breakfast in the hotel, as it was complimentary.  We all know how I like free food.     Anyway, I was quite surprised at all of the children running around on a Monday.  Don't kids have to go to school this time of the year?     It was fun watching all of the people.   


After breakfast, we went down to check the beach.    The red and purple flags were out at the lifeguard station, which meant the waves were strong, so you should be aware.


A step on guide was supposed to give us a tour of Miami and South Beach, but apparently, quit his job today, so our bus driver and chaperone didn't know quite what to do. Our itinerary said South Beach, so I said why don't we still go down there. I gave our bus driver instructions to a good spot, as I had been doing some reading on the area and things to do.  So, we all went down to Lincoln/Washington Street and got dropped off.  


My mom and I walked down Washington to 815 Washington, which is where the Kardashian sisters (from TV) have a clothing boutique.    I talked to the clerk there, who said the girls call every day to check on the store and they come in person about once a month.  They are usually unannounced visits.  The clerk said Khloe is very nice and would do anything for you.   I had my mom do my photo shoot both inside and outside the store.     


We walked along Ocean Front Drive and saw all of the art deco buildings.    When you think of South Beach, this is what it looks like.    Had a nice lunch at one of the outdoor cafes.      Walked down further and found the Italian designer, Versace, who had a home here. He was murdered in front of his home in 1997 by a serial killer.    


Our bus driver picked us up and drove us around the area.   I gave the people interesting facts about the area.   I probably should have been the tour guide today, as I found out so much information on the area and where to go.    Maybe that would be a good job for me to do when I retire, since I love to travel.


Found out our bus driver had a hard time finding a place to park the bus, as Miami doesn't allow them to park overnight.  He had to ask security and a police officer for assistance.  Finally, the officer said he could park at the mall only that night, but had to find another place to park it.   He had to call his company and Orchard View Travelers for help.   Of course, the hotel has no idea where buses park, which I find hard to believe.  So, he is parking the bus 5 miles north of our hotel at a Best Western. I never realized how much goes into doing one of these trips.  You have to be a pretty calm person to drive a bus.


Our bus driver offered to take us all tonight to the Aventura Mall.    Those who wanted to go could do so.  


Spoke with a clerk at the Burberry store about employment around Florida.  She said not to give up a job until you have one already lined up.   Right now,  employers are looking for skills more than your education.    That is good advice.


So that was my day around the area.  Tomorrow we are off to Key West. I want to check out Ernest Hemingway's home. I saw it several years ago, but would like to go back.     

No comments: