Sunday, May 26, 2013

May 26, 2013: New York City























The last time I was in New York City was in October 2002.   Back then, we could still see the mess from the collapse of the World Trade Towers in 2001.   This time, we were able to see the rebuilding of that site.  

We took the shuttle from our hotel to the stop at 42nd and Fashion. We saw the Cake Boss store, so wanted to stop there first. They had opened this location earlier this year.    I am glad we went there first, as it wasn't too crowded, so we were able to get some good photos.   
I am going to order online a chef coat of Carlos Bakery with my name monogrammed. 

We walked around Times Square. I saw where Good Morning America is filmed.    Wish they had tours of the studio.   Rhonda wanted to see St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is where the Kennedys were married.     Unfortunately, it is under restoration, so I couldn't get a good picture of it.   We went to Rockefeller Center and to Grand Central Station.   This was Rose's first trip to New York City, so I wanted her to see as much as possible in a short period of time.

We decided to take the subway from Grand Central Station (42nd St stop) up to the Great Lawn in Central Park.    I didn't think the subway system was the easiest to figure out, as I didn't know if we were going north or south on the train.   In Chicago, I knew the north stop and the south stop, but I didn't recognize the names of the stops here.   A nice senior citizen, originally from Indiana, guided us on the right train to the 86th St stop.  That was so nice of her.   She was going to the Metropolitan Museum.     I think God provided us with her for this part of the trip.    Her husband and kids worked in the financial district.

We walked around the Great Lawn which was beautiful. We saw the Belvedere Castle and ended up at Strawberry Fields near 72nd St.   Showed Rhonda and Rose the building where John Lennon was murdered.  

We took the subway down to the World Trade Center site, which is something I wanted to see.    We had to stand in a line to get a free ticket.  They only allow a certain amount of people into the site at a specific time.    

While we waited for our schedule time, we stopped at a restaurant and got deli sandwiches. I thought my sandwich was good, but I dont' think Rhonda or Rose were too impressed.   I found out later we should have eaten at Carnegie Deli.   That will have to be where I go on my next trip.

The 9/11 Memorial had airport type security you go through before you get into the site.     I love how they designed it.    The 2 pools are right on the sites of where the twin towers were located.   The names of all of those lost in the tragedy are on a wall around the pool.  
The new Freedom Tower, which is going to be the tallest in the Western Hemisphere, was currently under construction.   
There is a directory you can search in order to find where your loved one's name is located on the walls.     

There is also a tree replanted on the site that was the only surviving tree after the 9/11 attacks.  

Our next spot to check out was Wall Street.    It is a pretty neat building.     All of the buildings in that area are solid and right on top of each other.  

It was about 30 blocks to go toward the Empire State Building.  We decided to take a cab up there, as I didn't think Rose would be able to walk that far with her injured ankle.
We were shocked to find out it costs $49 to go to the top of the Empire State Building, with a minimum 3 hour wait.   We decided not to go there and to walk towards the Macy's Department store.     It was very crowded in Macy's. It was nice to see it, but I would prefer to shop at my local Macy's.

Of course, our last stop was back at the Cake Boss store in Times Square.  I bought another cannoli and a cookie.  They were both delicious.    

Around 8 p.m, we took our shuttle back to the hotel, which was so nice.    It costs $13 to drive through the Lincoln Tunnel, so I am glad we didn't drive ourselves.      

Next time I go to the city, I want to spend time in the neighborhoods, Tribeca, Chinatown, etc.  

I bought a FitBit walking pedometer and been competing with my Aunt Charlene, my Mom, and Marnie.   I took it on this trip. I walked 29,000 steps around NYC today.   That is close to 15 miles.

No comments: