Tuesday, October 27, 2015

October 27, 2015: In Memory of Maggie Victoria Gonyo


Maggie Gonyo was the child I never had.  She was born November 30, 2003 under a computer desk at my friend Betsy Floyd's house.     Betsy gave her to me in January 2004 and my life changed forever.    I remember looking up names for my new dog and the name Maggie stood out.     


The first day I got Maggie, she was only 3 pounds.      I remember the neighbor kids on Lawnel Avenue, Cody and Conner, came over to see her.  She would run and hide under the lazy boy or behind the refrigerator.  Patty and Matthew also came over that day to meet her.    She was always a bundle of joy.     The first day, I remember calling Betsy as Maggie was hiding behind the refrigerator and I was so afraid she would get hurt.  I had never had a dog before so this was all new to me.     The first night, I put Maggie in the crate, which she hated.   She threw up two times that night in the crate.   Ever since then, she never would go in a crate, no matter how hard I tried to get her to go in there to rest.      I would even try to put peanut butter in balls and put it in the crate, but she was sneaky and would walk around the crate to try and get it, without going inside.  Sometimes, she would make sure to keep one paw out of the crate so she could escape.

I used to dress up Maggie in cute outfits, such as swim suits, sailor outfits, jean skirts, sweaters, etc.  She always looked cute in them, but never liked wearing clothes.    I wonder why?    

I had birthday parties for her when she was 1, 2, and 3 years old.    I had my friends come over with their dogs and we played dog themed games such as the Best Kisser, fastest dresser, fastest runner, etc.    I had doggie ice cream and cake for humans.   I also gave each dog a treat bag to bring home, just like you would for a child's birthday party.       We all had a good time at those parties.

She loved to play ball especially with men. She would go crazy when she would see a man in the house.  She gave you endless kisses and licks over the years and had the softest fur of any dog I have ever seen.  She truly was a princess in my eyes.    

I took Maggie on several trips, including Chicago, Mackinaw City, Indiana, Jamestown, NY, Grand Rapids, and Ann Arbor.      She always went with us up to Baldwin on Memorial Day weekend to see Peggy and get some Jone's Ice Cream.   She would lick her chops when she would see the vanilla ice cream.

She had some tough times during her life, too.  She fell out of my bed one time and hit her eye, which made it partially pop out, which needed surgery.  She was attacked by a dog at our first apartment, Hamptons Court, which she overcame.   She had a toe amputated due to cancer.  She had pancreatitis in June 2012, which was the same week we moved into the condo. She had to go to Grand Rapids to the vet to get treated.   Not sure what happened recently, but she was sick for about 3 weeks and could barely jump onto my bed, and spent most of her days laying under the bed.     It was not an easy decision to end her life, but I did not want her to suffer anymore.     I was surprised how fast the procedure went and how quickly she left us.  I do believe she is up in heaven with my dad, grandparents, neighbors, etc, and that one day I will be back holding her in my arms.

Thank you Maggie for the 11 years of life you gave me.  You helped me through some tough times, but also brought me much happiness which was such a blessing.  I will miss you, dear Maggie, but look forward to holding you once again.




No comments: