Saturday, October 19, 2013

October 19, 2013: Grand Haven and U.S.S. Silversides



 




 
 


What started out to be a relaxing weekend with no plans turned into a weekend full of plans.    I like to be busy, so it was a nice welcome to have some unexpected plans.

My Mom and I decided to go to Grand Haven to get our free loaf of bread from Great Harvest Bread Company.     We have a frequent customer card and had filled it up, so we could get a free loaf.    The owner, Cindy Wisen, from my church happened to be there so we had a nice conversation.  
Before we came to the bread store, we saw an open house sign for a condo in the Grand Theater condos.       The one we went through had 1 master bedroom and 1 small bedroom.     The kitchen was beautiful    It had dark brown cupboards and beautiful black granite countertops.    It overlooked the parking lot, which I didn't like.   They were asking about $339,000 for the condo.      A nurse, who lives in the building, owned 3 other condos in the building and was trying to downsize.     
The association fee was $125.  It came with some cool amenities.    You could have a personal chef from one of the 5 restaurants downtown.  The chef would come to your condo and cook your meal for you and your guests.    You could get deferred restaurant billing, which meant you didn't need to pay at each meal at one of those 5 restaurants, but would get a bill for them at the end of the month.   Also, you had a private entrance to the wine bar next to the condo complex.

After my nap, I was looking on facebook and came across some photos Nina Ganesh Nandish had posted at the U.S.S. Silversides.   I was so excited that she was here in town.   I responded on facebook and we made plans to get together.   I hurried up and drove down to Pere Marquette to see her.  

I had about an hour wait at the Silversides museum for her, as she and her son were going on a tour of the submarine.     I finally hooked up with her.  It felt like old times with my old roommate, Nina, from Western Michigan University.  We were also in a co-ed professional business fraternity called Phi Chi Theta in college.       It felt like no time had gone by since our last visit, which really was around 5 or 6 years ago.    Her son, Nilan, is now 9.  He didn't know who I was as I don't see them that often.

She and Nilan came with his Boy Scout Troop, #746, from Northville.    The Scouts and their parents got to sleep on the submarine for the night. It cost the child $40 and the parent another $40, which also included pizza and breakfast in the morning.

I got to go on the submarine and see where they would be sleeping.    They were tight quarters.  Due to Boy Scout rules regarding females, the females were upgraded to the officer quarters, which was simply a private room holding 4 beds and a green privacy curtain.

So glad I was able to hook up with Nina and hang out for a bit.   

No comments: