Friday, October 11, 2013

October 11, 2013: Mona Shores Homecoming







I had been wanting to go to the Mona Shores High School Homecoming football game for several years, but just didn't make it.    It has been a nice, warm fall, so I invited a few people to come.   Sue wasn't able to come. Some others didn't want to go or couldn't go.    Mirelda and her family were going to come.  My classmates, Charles Bengsten and Mark Douglas, were going to meet me there.   

I came after work to get my ticket.    They did a parade down Seminole Rd.   The band and a few floats went down the road. It is different from when I went to high school.  They used to have the class floats go around the track at the football stadium, so not sure when they changed it to a parade down the street.  

Since I had about an hour to kill, I decided to go to the tailgate dinner.  It was $5.  The proceeds went to a band student who passed away this summer.     The proceeds from each tailgate dinner go to a different charity.     Sue, from Sue's Catering, did the dinner.    She saw me there.    She used to come to the deli when I worked at Plumb's back in high school and college.   
The food was very good.  It was awkward, though, going to it by myself, but a girl has to eat.  

I met up with Mark Douglas and his son.   Then, we sat up in the stands with Charles Bengsten and his son.     I was impressed with the interaction I saw with Charles and his son.    He married a nice gal and has 3 children.

I finally got a hold of Mirelda, who said her sister-in-law had got them reserved seats so I didn't get to see her until halftime.      I was happy to see Mirelda and her kids.  

Ashley Arnouts came to do some cheers as an alumni cheerleader. 

I was glad we won the game against Zeeland East.   It was announced that we had made the playoffs, which is a first in the history of Shores.   I think school of choice has helped bring on some better players from other districts, as we have a good team this year.    

No comments: