Friday, May 25, 2001

May 25, 2001: Office Team & Anna Marie Muirhead's Classroom

I drove down to Holland to sign up with Office Team for temporary work.  I found out that I was proficient with Word and Excel. I typed 61 words per minute.  I scored 700 on the data entry test.   I thought that was very good, considering I haven't worked in a position with just data entry.   A 2-year employee with data entry experience should be able to do 10,000 characters.

Then, I went to Great Lakes Elementary to see my friend Anna Marie Muirhead's classroom.   It was an interesting experience for me.   She taught 5th grade.   The students were pretty rowdy.  I couldn't believe how modern this school district was.  The students were required to type their reports and there was a computer lab in the library.   Also, the students took turns reporting school news at the end of the day, which showed up on TVs in each classroom.   She also taught the class using Powerpoint.   I had thought about going back to school to get my master's degree in education, but not sure as it was alot of work.  

Anna Marie said it was stressful during her first year of teaching.   Student teaching was a requirement for a year after the education portion was complete. Many times,  it was unpaid, which would be hard when I still had bills to pay.     Anna said the teachers had to take continuing education in the summers in order to keep their teaching certificate.      Most teachers got their master's degrees.   This career was something I would seriously consider.

No comments: