Monday, July 11, 2016

July 11, 2016: Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee













We had around 350 miles to go in order to get to Memphis.   I looked at a map and noticed that on highway I-55, it goes through Arkansas and Mississippi so of course I had to stop in those two states as I haven't been to them before.   We were impressed with the Welcome Center in Arkansas and saw an ad for the country singer, Johnny Cash's boyhood home in Dysell, Arkansas.   I set the GPS and off we went to the small town of Dysell.   Johnny Cash lived in the house from the age of 3 to 18 and then went into the service.     He's best known for the songs "I Walk the Line" and "Ring of Fire".  He was born February 26, 1932 and died September 12,  2003.  He graduated high school in 1950 and served our country from 1950-1954.   He was stationed in Germany.    

The GPS had us driving on some dirty roads to get back to the main highway which made my car quite dirty.    

Traffic was pretty bad around Memphis.   We took I-55 south so we could go into Mississippi.   We only had to drive around 12 miles to get to the Welcome Center.

We got to Graceland and stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel which was across the street from Elvis's house.

Had a nice pulled pork dinner at Marlowe's Ribs and Restaurant which has a pink pig on the outside.  The food was delicious.    I highly recommend the pulled pork, Mac and cheese, and corn fritters.

No comments: