Wednesday, September 1, 1993

September 1993: Muskegon Community College

Many of my friends from high school decided to go away to a four year university.   My mom made a deal with me that if I went to Muskegon Community College for 2 years and paid for it, then she would pay the last 2 years at Western Michigan University.  I decided it was a deal I couldn't pass up.
I started classes in the summer of 1993.  My first class was Golf.     I figured that shouldn't be too hard and would fulfill my physical education requirement.     I have never liked sports or physical activity, so I wanted to get these classes over with as soon as possible.


In the fall of 1993, I started taking some of my pre-requisite courses.   I wanted to get a degree in Business, so took classes geared in that direction.    I did very well at MCC.  My GPA was 3.7, which was excellent. 


My Grandma Gonyo told me I should try and take the English class that her friend, Mary Hartman, taught, so I signed up.   I loved Mary.  She was so good with the students.   Mary said she enjoyed my writing, which is something I absolutely enjoy.   I am thankful I was able to have Mary Hartman as a teacher before she retired.


I continued to work at Plumb's Valu-Rite foods in the delicatessan through college, which gave me some extra money.      


I met some wonderful people at MCC, too.  I took Spanish 1 and 2 and met Anna Marie Muirhead (now called Anna Marie Martinez).    She lived in Holland and had a 4 yr old son, who was adorable.    I visited her quite often in Holland.    


I graduated in April 1995, with an Associates Degree in Business.    I went to the graduation ceremony with my grandparents and my mother.    I worked very hard those two years at MCC, so I could get into Western Michigan and finish my bachelor's degree.

No comments: