Saturday, August 26, 2000

August 26, 2000: Camping Trip








Got up for breakfast. Harold was picking on us as usual.    He made us pancakes for breakfast.   Kim seemed very happy being a mother.     Owen was pretty quiet for some reason.    Cheryl, Wendy, Todd, Joy, Marianne, and George came down to the beach.   Cheryl and I were talking about teaching, as it had been an interest of mine.

Skip came camping.   The guys tried to get Cheryl and I to get them beers but we wouldn't.   Then, Jo, Jase, and Adam came down to the beach.   Jase sat next to me.    He had one more interview to go through in order to be accepted into the Michigan State Police Academy.    Chad was living in Bloomington, IN.  He was training for the Navy Seals.   He proposed to Christy in May, but she didn't accept.   Jo wasn't sure why Christy said no to the proposal.    Adam hurt his vertebrae in football.   He had dyed his hair blonde.

Then, Harold, Jase and I walked back together to the campsite.  Harold was telling me how he took Jase to this bar after they tried on tuxedos for Dawn's wedding.  I guess some girl had her eyes on Jase at the bar.

Harold asked Jase if he had a girlfriend. Jase's response was 'yes, she was in jail.'.    I thought that was a hilarious response. Jase got his mom and I a pop.    Jase was the sweetest and best looking dude I've ever met.   He didn't like sweeping for his dad, but said it was a job.

We all had to eat fast as the sky was getting very dark.  We could hear thunder in the distance.    Sure enough, as soon as we finished dinner, it began to pour down rain outside.      We all ran for the camper.    Kim's in-laws had come for dinner.   Jase, Jo, and I talked for quite a while.    Showed them my pictures of the Mexico trip and of the gay pride day parade in Chicago.   That parade was so funny!    We got about 4 inches of rain that night.    Wendy and Todd's tent had 4 inches of water, so they packed up and went home.

Jase and Adam left as Jase had to do some road sweeping the next day.    Dawn showed me her beautiful wedding pictures.  Jo gave me some beautiful dish towels with lighthouses on them.     Marianne gave me the same card that my cube mate had given me. I got a kick out of that.

The rest of us went inside the camper and talked.    The adults were talking about the old days and how each of them met their spouses and how they were proposed to.    Skip and Jo went home as Skip had to fly somewhere the next day for a conference.     

No comments: