Monday, May 8, 2000

May 8, 2000: Grandma's Funeral Service

On May 7, we had visitation from 2-4 p.m. and 6-8 p.m. at Young Funeral Home.      I had never said the rosary so had no idea what to say.   We thought that grandma would want that as a part of the funeral.    It was scary for me to see Grandma in the casket.  I didn't think it really looked like her.    When Grandpa first got to the funeral home, he went in to see her and didn't recognize her either and blurted out that that wasn't her and walked out.    We had them put the pink square dance dress on her.   Grandpa wanted to wear his Hawaiian shirt to the visitation which we couldn't believe.  

On May 8th, we had the funeral service at Prince of Peace Catholic Church in North Muskegon.    We all walked behind the coffin up front. It was at that point that I realized that Grandma was really gone.    My Mom read the first reading and I read the 2nd reading.   Charlene and Kelsey talked about their memories of Grandma.  Kelsey said she had kept all of the cards Grandma had sent her.    After the service, we went to the Laketon Township Cemetery and put roses on top of the casket.    Grandpa said out loud that he had to go golfing. We were all shocked.    

Walked with Charlene down at Pioneer Park and walked along the beach.  We talked about Grandma's death, as well as my dad's death.    I had alot of anger about him dying so young. I wanted to know more about my dad's death. She told me that he sat down and tied the belt around his neck.   I guess I felt better that he had sat down as I had always had images of him hanging from a tree.   

Marianne stayed the night at our house. I was so glad to have her there.   Kara came over and all of us went to G and L for chili dogs and then had ice cream at Frosty Oasis.  

No comments: