Wednesday, May 3, 2000

May 3, 2000: In Memory of Grandma Thomas



Grandma Thomas was a wonderful lady.  She used to make such wonderful meals for us at Easter, birthdays, and Christmas.  I remember her making us homemade chocolates which I looked forward to every year.     She was an Avon Representative for several years and had this room in her basement with all kinds of samples. Kelsey and I loved to try out the lipstick samples when we were kids.     
She had been battling with arthritis and alzheimers for many years.       

My mother had been keeping me up on Grandma's health the past week.     She said the priest was going to give her the last rites today.    When she said that, I knew it wasn't long before she would be gone.    After work, I walked down Oakdale and along Lake Michigan.   I was happy to be back in the city.   On my walk home, I was thinking about Grandma and my family.  It was as if I knew something had happened.  When I got home, I had a voicemail from my mom saying Grandma Thomas had passed away at 6:30 p.m.    My heart dropped.   She said Grandma died in peace and that Charlene had read Psalms 23 over and over to my Grandma.   Aunt Elsie heard the 'death rattle' which was where you hear this rattling sound in the person's throat.    She had heard this before with other family members. She quickly yelled for Grandpa, Charlene, and my Mom to come back to the room.  A few minutes later, she took her last breath.    She said it was the most faithful experience she had ever had.    She said as soon as Grandma died, her skin instantly cleared and the color came back.    It was the sign that her soul was already on its way to heaven.    I will miss Grandma dearly.   

Brandie came downstairs to give me a hug.    Then, I called Grandpa to give him my condolences and was surprised he was so cheerful.    He went out and cut the grass. I was shocked, but I guess everyone deals with grief in their own way. Plus, he knew she had suffered for so long.

No comments: