Friday, November 17, 1995

November 17, 1995: Phi Chi Theta & Finance Club trip to Chicago



Every semester, Phi Chi Theta would do a professional development activity.  This time, we were going to Chicago to see the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.     We dressed in our professional attire and went on a tour. This company traded stocks.  The job looked like it was high stress and very busy. Scott Gilbert said he couldn't do this job.    The traders wore different colored jackets and communicated with hand signals as to whether to buy or sell.    The guys who worked in the pit called it into their home offices.  

Then, we went on a tour of the Chicago Tribune.   About 80% of its income came from advertisement. They used 8,000 tons of paper a week.   

Scott, Kristi, Tammy, and I were roommates for the weekend.  I had dinner at Gino's East with Scott Gilbert, Kristie Bush, and Tammy Hubek.    Tammy and I walked around Water Tower Place.  We wanted to find out how Oprah Winfrey got to her condo on the top of the Ritz Carlton so we took the elevator to the 12th floor of the Ritz Carlton.     Tammy asked the security all about Oprah and he told us which restaurant she frequented.      Then, Tammy and I went to the comedy club, 'Second City' where James Belushi, John Candy, and Mike Myers got their start.

On Saturday, Tammy Hubek and I went to Ed Debeviks.  Our waiter was dressed like Elvis.  Tammy was having fun being sassy to the waiter.Then, Scott, Kristi, Tammy, and I took the subway to the Museum of Arts and Sciences.    Scott liked the funny mirrors at the museum.    We watched a Chinese Christmas program.   Tammy and I did a video in which we acted like we were in a rock band. It was quite funny.  
We all sat inside the fake airplane.     After the museum, we went back to Michigan Ave and watched the fireworks.
Then, Scott, Kristi, Tammy, and I went to Planet Hollywood to dinner. We stood in line for 1 1/2 hours.  

On Sunday, we walked over to the Sears Tower which cost us $5.50 each.   Scott was impressed at how I waved and snapped my fingers to hail a cab.  

I think we all had a good time on this trip.

No comments: