Wednesday, September 23, 2009

September 23, 2009-Asheville, NC to Charleston, South Carolina


 

 


We left Asheville this morning but stopped at the Grove Inn hotel in Asheville.   It is a cobblestone hotel up in the mountains that overlooks the city and surrounding mountainside.    It is truly gorgeous.  Many past Presidents have stayed here, such as George Bush, Bill Clinton, Teddy Roosevelt, and Obama.   Also,  Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Mr. Firestone,  President Lyndon Johnson's wife, etc, have stayed at the hotel.  I can see why, as it is gorgeous.    The golf course is to die for.      In the lobby, there is the biggest fireplace I have ever seen in my life.   


I really was impressed with what I saw of North Carolina. I do want to check out some other cities in that state on a different trip.    I think I have come to the realization that I really don't like humid weather. I am definitely getting out of Muskegon, but just not sure where yet.    Ann Arbor comes to my mind many times.  One thing I have found as I get older is that I like the change in seasons, but not winter.    


I could tell a big difference once we left North Carolina and entered South Carolina.    The topography almost immediately changed from the beautiful mountains to more straight, maybe hilly roads (like in Iowa).    And I got a kick out of the road signs...they had the wrong signs up  (eg.  left lane closed when it was the right lane closed) or the signs posted on the northbound highway with the writing towards our side.  I thought it was very strange.


We have gone from a 4 star hotel to probably a 2 star.  It isn't as bad as the hotel in Detroit across from the stadium, but close enough.   The hotels we wanted to stay at in downtown were already booked up or they were way too expensive.    We are making reservations as we go along on this trip, as we aren't 100% sure each day where we will be.      Hopefully, we can get a better hotel in Savannah.  We are about 1.5 miles from the downtown.    


We went walking around downtown Charleston tonight and got to the waterfront and on the ground were all of this big bugs scurrying all over the place. I was freaking out.   I guess they are palmetto bugs.    They look like huge cockroaches and you know me and bugs.....I go crazy when I see them.   Maybe that is why I should not live in a humid climate.  The girl at the restaurant said you get used to it and see them in your home.    That would drive me up a wall.   


Tomorrow, we are going to take some tours of the city and a plantation.      I will send some pictures in tomorrow's email.



No comments: