Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Grandpa Thomas



Grandpa Charles Thomas passed away on Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at approximately 9:17 a.m. at the Harbor Hospice. He had a massive heart attack last Saturday, Feb. 28th, and was admitted into Hospice. The day before, he wasn't feeling well, but went to get a haircut at his home at Dayspring Assisted Living.

Each of the family members took turns visiting him in his last days. I stayed Tuesday night until 1 a.m. with my mom, Debra Buys, and my aunt Charlene. We sang songs and read the bible to grandpa. By then, he was in a deep sleep. I am glad I had a couple of hours alone with him Tuesday night. I talked to Jeff who worked there that said that the rasping sound from his lungs was the death rattle which I have heard about. My grandmother died in 2009 and I wasn't there to be with her, as I was living in Chicago. So, I wanted to be here with him in his final hours.

Charlene called us back this morning as the signs were shown that he was in his final stages. We came around 7 a.m. The blotches were on his skin and his breathing was a constant and not like the night before. His skin was getting more purple in color.

My mom and I went to McDonalds to get us breakfast and came back and his body had changed to a deeper purple. His eyes opened up and you could see the most gorgeous blue eyes staring up. We yelled for my aunt to come. All of a sudden, he lunged upwards and I could see/hear the final gasp and he was gone. Then, when we thought he was gone, a second and final gasp occurred. That part kind of freaked me out. The nurse came in and checked his heart rate and pronounced him dead. It was nice to see him at peace and not breathing so heavily, which he had done for the past 5 days.

I have always been fearful of death, but after experiencing this, I realize that it isn't to be feared as the Lord is with us. Also, the dying person is in a comotose stage, where they are not fully aware of what is going on. It is probably harder on the loved ones to watch the person. Even though, your hearing is the last to go before death, you are at peace. We all gave him a kiss and let him know that he is now in heaven with his mom, dad, brothers/sisters, grandma, my dad, and Beulah.



I am glad I was able to be here with the family.

No comments: