Thursday, March 11, 1993

March 11-14, 1993: DECA Conference in Dearborn

Thursday:  Our DECA organization at school had a conference in Dearborn, Michigan.  We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in the Fairlane Town Center.   The hotel was very modern with beautiful rooms. I roomed with Amanda Hladki and Ann Tyler.    Our room was #870.    We went on a tour of the hotel.   Amanda taught me to play Rummy.   

Friday:   We went to Fairlane Mall to look around in the stores.    We had breakfast at Elias Brothers.   Then, I had my test in the Food Marketing Supervisory Level competition.    We played more Rummy and watched soap operas.

Saturday:    Took my 2 role plays. I thought I did pretty well with the first role play.   It had to do with ways to cut back on expenses in the grocery store.      I talked with Amber Chumley who said she was going to Central Michigan University.  Later on, I went shopping with Mike McCullum and Ann Tyler. 

Found out the maid took Amanda's $400 ring. She filed a report with security.    Amanda, Ann, and I had to sneak out of our room in order to eat a pizza without Mike, as he was driving us crazy.   

Then, we went to the awards assembly. 

Sunday:  We went to a 2nd awards assembly. Amber Chumley and Jason Mosher won from our school.    I think we all had a good time at the conference. It felt more like a vacation to me than a competition.   Wish I had won an award at this one.

No comments: